– In coordination with the Bowser Administration, the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers, Baltimore District, has issued a design/build contract to Hensel Phelps Construction Co., to convert the Walter E. Washington Convention Center into an alternate care facility to support the District’s response to coronavirus (COVID-19). The goal is to never need to use the Convention Center, but by the first week of May, 500 beds will be ready.
“While our goal is to never use the Convention Center, we must have the capacity to support a potential increase in COVID-19 patients,”
said Mayor Bowser. “We thank the Army Corps, FEMA, and Events DC for their continued partnership during this public health emergency.”
“Through FEMA, our job is to provide the District of Columbia with a tailored space that meets their anticipated medical surge needs to augment existing healthcare facilities,” said Col. John Litz, U.S. Army Corps of Engineers, Baltimore District Commander. “Our goal, leveraging our contractor’s expertise, is to get this site operational as quickly as possible while meeting medical standards, so equipment and beds can be placed and health care providers can take over, should the need arise.”
“We’re proud to do our part during this unprecedented crisis by converting the Walter E. Washington Convention Center into a temporary alternate care site to help relieve the burden of the local hospital system,” said Greg O’Dell, President and Chief Executive Officer of Events DC. “We will remain in this fight together.”
Effective immediately, the Walter E. Washington Convention Center will be converted into an alternate care facility to support the District’s response to coronavirus (COVID-19).
EMERGENCY PARKING RESTRICTIONS
The District Department of Transportation (DDOT) announced the following emergency no parking restrictions in the area surrounding the Convention Center effective Tuesday, April 21, 2020 at 12:01 a.m.
There may be additional parking restrictions and intermittent road closures without notice for public safety reasons.
- 1000 Block 9th Street NW (Mt. Vernon Pl to L St NW): East curb lane
- 1100 Block 9th Street NW (L St to M St NW): East curb lane
- 1000 Block 7th Street NW (Mt. Vernon Pl to L St NW): West curb lane
- 1100 Block 7th Street NW (L St to M St NW): West curb lane
- 700-800 Blocks L Street NW (7th St to 9th St NW): North and South curb lanes