Amateur sports organizations, community groups and individuals from DC and beyond may request field time using the following permitting process.
Field time will be allocated for sports activities, community activities, such as pick-up games and informal recreational use, and events, including programming organized by Events DC. In allocating field time, preference will generally be given to organizations that serve local youth.
CRYSP DC, a nonprofit organization, is the operator of The Fields at RFK Campus, which were built and are owned by Events DC. Events DC is the official convention and sports authority for the District of Columbia, and owns and/or manages several key facilities in the District, including the Walter E. Washington Convention Center, RFK Campus, Nationals Park. CRYSP DC was formed in 2010 to advocate for more playing space in DC — particularly for youth sports.
About The Fields at RFK Campus
The Fields at RFK Campus includes three high-quality lighted turf fields, a covered pavilion, a playground, restrooms, and a parking lot. Fields 1 and 3 are identical fields that each contain one full-sided soccer field measuring 110 x 70 yards. Inset are two small-sided soccer fields measuring 75 x 50 yards. These two fields can be rented for a variety of sports, including soccer, football, and kickball. Under special circumstances, fields 1 and 3 may also be rented as half-fields in order to ensure optimal field usage and accommodate as many participants as is feasible. Field 1 is the farthest north, and Field 3 is the farthest south, closest to RFK Stadium.
Field 2 includes two baseball diamonds and a full-size soccer field with two small-sided inset soccer fields with the same dimensions as Fields 1 and 3. The overall space available on Field 2 is about 190 yards x 90 yards. Field 2 can be rented for a variety of sports including full-size soccer or baseball field, or divided into two little league baseball or youth soccer fields — 2a and 2b — as marked on the signage.
The Fields provide patrons, especially local communities and DC residents, with a quality and reasonably-priced venue for sporting activities and programming, such as soccer, baseball, lacrosse, and other sports. Events DC, the owner of the fields, envisions a vibrant destination offering an array of sports, entertainment, cultural, and recreational programming and, together with CRYSP DC (operator of The Fields) plans to take innovative and creative approaches to better serve Washington, DC.
The following definitions shall apply to the terms contained in this policy including the Fee Schedule and Field Allocation process:
- Youth Rates: apply to organizations that primarily include participants 18 years of age and under.
- Adult Rates: apply to organizations that primarily include participants over the age of 18 years old.
- DC Organization: organizations must be based in Washington, DC, and over 75% of its patrons/players must reside in the District. Rosters or other proof of residency for players and other supporting documentation for the organization may be required. The location of the organization itself cannot be used to determine the residency of its participants.
- Local-to-RFK Organization: organizations, clubs or teams that draw a significant number or a significant percentage of participants from the neighborhoods surrounding The Fields at RFK Campus.
- Significant number is defined as at least 100 participants.
- Significant percentage is defined as at least 51% percent of players or participants.
- Neighborhoods surrounding The Fields at RFK Campus include the following zip codes only: 20002, 20003, 20019, and 20020.
- Nonprofit organization: organizations designated as tax-exempt under IRS Code 501(c)(3).
- Qualified Community Rate: applies to organizations that meet the criteria of all three of the following:
- DC Organization,
- Local-to-RFK Organization, and
- Nonprofit Organization.
Rate Period Definitions
All information relating to Peak and Non-Peak Seasons will be published at RFKfields.com. However, as a general guide, Peak Seasons include the Fall season, which generally runs the last two weeks of August through November, and the Spring season, which will generally be March to mid-June. Non-Peak Seasons include the Winter season will generally be from December through February, and the Summer season, which will generally be from mid-June to mid-August.
The Field Use Hourly Rates published below are subject to change at any time.
Field Use Hourly Rates During Peak Seasons
FIELD NUMBER / QUALIFIED COMMUNITY RATE / YOUTH DC RATE / YOUTH NON-DC RATE / ADULT – DC RATE / ADULT NON-DC RATE
1 OR 3$20 / HR$75 / HR$140 / HR$125 / HR$175 / HR
2A$15 / HR$40 / HR$80 / HR$70 / HR$95 / HR
2B$15 / HR$40 / HR$80 / HR$70 / HR$95 / HR
2A & B$30 / HR$80 / HR$160 / HR$140 / HR$190 / HR
Field Use Hourly Rates During Non-Peak Seasons
QUALIFIED COMMUNITY RATE / YOUTH DC RATE / YOUTH – NON- DC RATE / ADULT – DC RATE / ADULT NON-DC RATE
1 OR 3$12 / HR$45 / HR$80 / HR$75 / HR$100 / HR
2A$9 / HR$24 / HR$50 / HR$42 / HR$60 / HR
2B$9 / HR$24 / HR$50 / HR$42 / HR$60 / HR
2A & 2B$18 / HR$48 / HR$100 / HR$84 / HR$120 / HR
Additional Fee Schedule Information
- Generally, Fields 1 or 3 will be rented as full fields. Patrons may request rental of half a field and/or may be asked to share field space with another user. Such usage will be billed at half of the full field rate.
- The minimum field purchase time is one hour. Patrons may purchase additional time in 30-minute increments, which will be charged at half the hourly rate.
- Fee waivers or reduced rates can be requested and will be evaluated on a case-by-case basis. Fee waivers and supporting documentation must be submitted at the time of the permit request. Eligibility criteria include, but are not limited to: financial hardship, an expressed or documented need for the activity, and/or the activity is free and open to the public to participate. All information on fee waivers may be found online at RFKfields.com.
- Organizations and individuals may book space at The Fields for special events or one-time recreational events on a field, under the Pavilion or under the shade structure near the Playground following the Special Event Policy.
Field Use Allocation
Field time will be allocated for permitted amateur sports activities and for community activities, such as pick-up play and informal recreational use. Some time will also be reserved, as needed, for events, including programming organized by Events DC and third-party events. A schedule showing times allocated for each type of access is posted online at RFKfields.com.
The key priorities for use of The Fields are to provide scheduling and play-time opportunities as follows:
- Amateur Sports Programs (including league/team practices), 60 percent of the time, with priority being given to teams/leagues that qualify as Local-to-RFK as defined above, and teams/leagues from around the District. For these programs, youth leagues will have greater priority than adult leagues.
- Community Uses, 20 percent of the time, which include less formal, non-league sports and recreational activities sponsored by area community organizations, groups and individuals, including “pick-up games” and other hosted activities. Fields are available on a first-come-first-served basis during these times.
- Events, 20 percent of the time, which include third party events and programming sponsored by Events DC. Events DC is responsible for determining/reserving these field use times.
The application review process is designed to provide equitable access to field time, with an emphasis on time for local and youth programming, and an effort to balance applications for large blocks of field time with time for smaller requests. Given that demand for field time, especially during weeknights and weekend days, far exceeds the supply, additional considerations may be applied to field allocation decisions, including but not limited to:
- maximizing field utilization; and
- providing a diversity of activities.
The process does not “grandfather” permit holders or give any priority access to permit holders from previous seasons. If you have questions about the field allocation process, please email email@example.com or call 202.539.9555.
Season schedules will be published regularly at RFKfields.com/permit-windows/, including the dates for the quarterly Permit Application Windows, when organizations and individuals can apply for permits, and when permits will be issued. Field patrons may sign up for emails about permit windows and important dates at RFKfields.com.
How to Apply
In order to apply for field use, please visit RFKfields.com to “Book a Field” by completing the online application. Please include information about your organization, including: youth/adult, DC-based/outside of DC, participant rosters with age group, last names and zip codes to verify quantity and location, IRS determination letter, etc, as appropriate. Organizations should provide as much detail as possible about the time(s) and date(s) requested, amount of time they request, their preferred dates/times, and any flexibility, as many applicants will likely request some of the same time slots. No preference based on the time within the permit window that the application is submitted (i.e., applications submitted on the first day of the permit window do not get preference over applications submitted on the last day of the permit window). Any requests or materials submitted after the permit application window closes will be considered in order of receipt, only after all timely, complete applications have been processed.
Once the Permit Application Window closes, CRYSP DC will begin the evaluation process. During that process, organizations may be asked to provide additional documentation to establish their fee category. Additional fees may be required, or access denied or revoked, if it becomes clear that the permitted patron does not meet the criteria for the fee category that is indicated in its application. If a club or league does not have its membership roster at the time the permit application is made, it should provide a best estimate of participant membership; a roster may be required when the club or league has completed its sign ups. We will make every effort to complete permit decisions within 14 days after the Permit Application Window closes.
Once field time is approved by CRYSP DC, applicants will receive notice via email and must submit a Certificate of Insurance naming both Events DC and CRYSP DC as additionally insured and sign the use agreement within three (3) business days of this notification. Invoices must be paid in full within seven (7) business days by credit card or eCheck. If the invoice is not paid within seven (7) business days, the applicant may lose the assigned time slot as that field time will be made available to other applicants.
Permitted patrons are expected to notify CRYSP DC in the event that paid time will not be used. CRYSP DC reserves the right to re-allocate that time to other patrons. At no time will patrons receive a refund.
CRYSP DC reserves the right to revoke permitted time at any time, for any reason whatsoever.
After the Permit Application Window ends and permits are issued and paid, CRYSP DC will publish a calendar showing permitted uses, scheduled Community Uses, and remaining available field time. CRYSP DC will then accept additional permit applications, including from applicants that missed the Permit Application Window deadline, on a rolling basis, awarding permits on a first-come-first-served basis, subject to availability and at least two weeks in advance. During this time, applicants may apply for one individual time slot or multiple time slots.
For organizations seeking field time for events or tournaments, please email firstname.lastname@example.org at any time to inquire about availability. Depending on the size and scope of these events, they may be referred to Events DC.
For events, especially larger events, rates, terms and conditions may vary from the published rate structure on a case-by-case basis due to the additional staffing, maintenance, medical, security and other services that may be required.
Requirements for Permitted Patrons
Permitted field patrons will be required to submit proof of insurance for players, coaches and any other participant engaging in activity at The Fields, prior to beginning any activity on the field. Specific insurance requirements will be emailed to applicants at the time of permit approval and may also be posted online at RFKfields.com.
Community Uses are informal sports and recreational activities open to area families, community organizations, individuals and other groups, including both free play and “pick-up games.”
CRYSP DC will schedule Community Open Play – unprogrammed free play on otherwise unreserved fields. CRYSP DC will also schedule time for sport-specific Pickup Play. Both Community Open Play and Pickup Play will be free and open to the public. Community Use times will appear on the schedule of field time at RFKfields.com.
Amateur sports organizations may not hold recurring practices or games during Community Use time. Individuals or organizations may not conduct commercial recreational activities or other paid services during Community Use time.
For more information on Community Uses, please see the Community Use Policy.
In the event that lightning is observed at or near The Fields, the entire facility will be closed for 30 minutes; the 30-minute clock will be restarted after each subsequent observance (if applicable). The Fields may also be closed due to snow/ice accumulation and other emergencies at the discretion of CRYSP DC or Events DC. Field staff will announce field closures via the public announcement system and on the weather line, (202) 539-9555 Ext 1. All players, spectators and others must follow the instructions of The Fields staff and vacate the fields. Staff may reopen the park after lightning or other weather hazards have passed, but all decisions of The Fields staff are final and within their sole and absolute discretion.
With the exception of lightning, snow/ice accumulation, and other extreme weather conditions, decisions about playing during inclement weather are up to permitted patrons, at their own discretion and their own risk. Patrons may not shovel snow off the field at any time.
If playing fields are closed due to inclement weather or other emergencies, the permitted patron may request to reschedule league games. In the event that permitted field time must be rescheduled at the sole and absolute discretion of CRYSP DC or Events DC, the patron will receive credit toward future field time and CRYSP DC will make every effort to reschedule the patron during the applicable season. At no time will CRYSP DC issue refunds to any patron.
Field Conditions and Cleaning Deposit
If a permitted patron arrives at their designated field and finds it in a substandard condition due to trash, other items/equipment on or off the field, or any damage to the field, please inform field staff immediately. Failure to do so may result in the patron being held responsible for the substandard condition.
Once a permitted patron takes possession of the field, the patron is responsible for cleaning up after their activities or event and leaving the field in as-good or better condition than when they arrived.
On occasion, CRYSP DC may require the patron to pay a cleaning deposit prior to engaging in any activity on the field or other areas of the facility. The circumstances under which a cleaning deposit will be required shall be made on a case-by-case basis. In the event that CRYSP DC requires the patron to provide a cleaning deposit, the deposit will be refunded as quickly as possible after the event, assuming the field(s) is/are in the same condition after the event as before it. A deposit will not typically be required for routine amateur sports.
Facility Use Policies – The Fields at RFK Campus
Unless otherwise provided, the following Use Policies are in effect:
- The Fields at RFK Campus are open to the public during published hours of operation as shown on RFKfields.com and posted on site at the Field Office
- During Community Use time, designated fields are available on a first-come-first-served basis for youth/families OR adults as published schedule indicates
- If you wish to reserve time for league play, apply for a permit at RFKfields.com
- Permit holders are responsible for adhering to all field and campus policies and may use the playing fields ONLY during their designated time; Failure to do so may result in the cancellation of permits
- Keep valuables secured and out of sight at all times
- All children under the age of 18 must have adult supervision
- Leashed dogs are allowed on the campus, but please keep dogs off the playground. Dogs are NOT permitted on the turf playing fields
- Please pick up after your pets
- Pet watering fountains are provided — Please keep pets out of the people fountains!
- Only guide dogs are allowed on the turf and in the playground area
- Enjoy the entire site as a smoke-free, tobacco-free, drug-free destination
- Alcohol — in any container — is prohibited on site except by specific permit
- Barbecuing and open fires are prohibited
- Food is allowed in all areas except the playing fields; chewing gum, sunflower seeds and beverages, other than water, are prohibited on the playing fields
- Wear sneakers or rubber cleats — bare feet and metal cleats are prohibited on the playing fields and playground
- Protect the turf: Keep bikes (motorized and non), ATV’s, in-line skates, skateboards, scooters and heavy equipment off the playing fields; Tape, paint, and adhesives are prohibited on the turf
- Amplified music is prohibited except by specific permit
- Sales and vending are prohibited, except by permit
- Signs or other posted materials are prohibited, except by permit
- Keep The Fields clean! Remove all refuse from seating areas and playing fields before departure, deposit all trash and recyclables in cans provided or take it with you
- Please enjoy restrooms during posted hours of operation; dispose of diapers in trash receptacles
- Please do not move or remove field equipment (goals, corner flags, etc.)
- Park only in designated spaces
- Take lots of photos and videos, but not with drones – drones are prohibited
- Commercial, political or religious solicitation is prohibited
- Field closures due to weather or other reasons will be announced on RFKfields.com; if a field is closed, no use is permitted; CRYSP DC will attempt to notify permitted patrons by email or other means if a field is closed unexpectedly
- Campus patrons are responsible for adhering to these Use Policies and all applicable federal and District of Columbia laws at all times; Failure to do so may result in being asked to leave the campus