Growing a Greener Future
From our many green spaces to our walkability score, Washington, DC prides itself on being one of the most environmentally-friendly cities in the country. In fact, the US Green Building Council recognized the District as the first LEED Platinum City in the world. Events DC is dedicated to the city’s vision of making the world a greener place and prioritizes sustainable practices within the operations of all of its venues.
Managing some of the District’s most popular venues also means receiving many visitors who each bring a carbon footprint. Events DC recognizes the importance of being good environmental stewards and is constantly putting initiatives into place that will help make a difference. Here are a few examples of our sustainability and facility accreditation efforts to date:
Walter E. Washington Convention Center
- GBAC STAR™ facility accreditation - The Convention Center is the first in the northeast corridor to secure GBAC STAR™ facility accreditation for preeminent cleaning, disinfection and infection prevention strategies.
- “The Know the Code” - This color-coded recycling and waste minimization program effectively employs environmentally responsible products.
- “Dream Machines” - Through a PepsiCo partnership, recycling stations were installed throughout facilities to encourage beverage container recycling rates.
- Other Initiatives - The Convention Center is responsibly committed to sustainable sites, water efficiency, energy and atmosphere, materials and resources, and indoor environment quality.
- GBAC STAR™ facility accreditation - The Armory has secured this premier cleaning accreditation.
- “The Know the Code” recycling and waste minimization program
- Biodegradable Materials - Plastic utensils and napkins are being swapped for more eco-friendly biodegradable materials.
- LEED Silver Certification - Nats Park is the nation’s first major professional stadium to be LEED Silver Certified by the U.S. Green Building Council.
- Sustainable Site - The ballpark will serve as anchor for urban revitalization in the area, including a new mixed-use entertainment zone. It is dedicated to using sustainable materials and resources.
- Water Efficiency - Nats Park uses water conserving plumbing fixtures throughout the park, saving approximately 3.6 million gallons of water each year and reducing overall water consumption by 30 percent.
Entertainment and Sports Arena
- GBAC STAR™ facility accreditation - The Arena is the first sports facility in DC to secure this preeminent cleaning accreditation.
- LED Gold Certification - The Entertainment & Sports Arena has achieved LEED Gold certification. The project features green roof areas, onsite stormwater retention systems, and energy-efficient systems.