Join Us On November 23 at the Walter E. Washington Convention Center
DC neighbors are invited to stop by for some holiday cheer and to take away a Thanksgiving meal box and a gift bag donated by Safeway and its partners
This Event is Open to the Public and Media
WHAT: Safeway, Events DC, and their community partners present the 2022 Safeway Feast of Sharing with an in-person event, themed: Sharing, Caring, and Reconnecting. Out of an abundance of caution for our guests’ health, this year DC neighbors are invited to attend the grab-and-go event, where they will receive a turkey lunch meal box as well as a gift bag filled with winter clothing accessories and other items. The 23rd Annual Safeway Feast of Sharing will retain its spirit of sharing and caring, while reconnecting as a live event will take place in-person for the first time since 2019. Masks will be mandatory for all guests.
WHERE: Walter E. Washington Convention Center (801 Mount Vernon Place NW, Washington, DC)
Guests will enter through the main doors on Mount Vernon Place
WHEN: Wednesday, November 23
9:30 am – Opening Ceremony in the Grand Lobby
10-11 am – Senior Citizen Admission
11 am – General Admission
Opening ceremony featuring:
- Brad Spooner, Safeway, Vice President of Operations
- Council of the District of Columbia –
- Council Chairman Phil Mendelson
- Councilmember Christina Henderson (At-Large)
- Councilmember Robert C. White Jr. (At-Large)
- Councilmember Brianne Nadeau (Ward 1)
- Councilmember Janeese Lewis George (Ward 4)
- Alexis L. Squire, Chief Service Officer, Executive Office of Mayor Muriel Bowser – Serve DC
- Mayor Muriel Bowser, Mayor of the District of Columbia
- Angie Gates, Events DC, President and CEO
- Fred Smoot and Rick “Doc” Walker, Washington Commanders Legends
Special guests featuring
- Carole Johnson, Administrator of the Health Resources and Services Administration (HRSA)
- Taylor Christine Farr and Jerrell Sheldon Silvers, Washington Commanders’ Command Force
ELEMENTS: Live elements at the venue on Nov. 23 will include a flu shot and vaccine clinic conducted by Safeway Pharmacy. Guests should bring their medical insurance cards with them. In addition to flu shots, guests will have the option of COVID-19 and pneumonia immunizations. While waiting for shots or to grab their meal boxes, attendees will enjoy the music of LA Young and her band the Unusual Suspects, performing in the Convention Center’s Grand Lobby.
Each of the 5,000 Safeway Feast of Sharing grab-and-go meal boxes will provide recipients with a delicious and nutritious holiday meal box that will remind neighbors their community cares and will feature a turkey sandwich with condiments (including cranberry relish), potato salad, a cookie, an apple, a drink, and utensils. The 5,000 Safeway Feast of Sharing gift bags will each contain winter clothing accessories, including a winter hat and scarf, a pair of gloves and socks, along with a toiletry kit, a Safeway Feast of Sharing face mask, and a bottle of hand sanitizer.
WHO: Safeway Feast of Sharing is made possible through the hard work and support of community partners, including: Events DC, Truist, Aramark, Unity Health Care, The Salvation Army National Capital Area Command, Metropolitan Baptist Church, Runway for a Cause Foundation, Projection, Hi-Tech Electric, and Digital Conventions.